Since a WiFi extender is a powerful device that amplifies and extends the range of your existing WiFi signal, the latest technologies are introduced more often than before. They are also commonly known as WiFi range extenders. In recent years, WiFi extenders have advanced significantly in terms of their technologies, features, and functionalities. Besides, large homes and offices, WiFi extenders are also useful in areas with difficult floor plans. If you’re one of those who is keen on knowing about the latest technologies or if you’re in the process of purchasing a WiFi extender, then this article is for you.
1) WiFi 6 Support
One of the main advancement in WiFi extender technology is that it supports WiFi 6. Yes, WiFi 6 is the latest generation of WiFi technology. Plus, it offers several benefits over the previous generations. Some of these include the following.
- Offers Faster Speeds: The speed of WiFi 6 is up to four times faster than WiFi 5.
- Greater Capacity: WiFi 6 is able to support more devices on the same network that too without compromising on the performance.
- Lower Latency: The latency of WiFi 6 is reduced. Therefore, it enables quicker transmission and receiving of data.
Extenders that support WiFi 6 help to improve the performance of your WiFi network, especially in congested areas. For instance, if you have a large family who is using multiple devices to play games and stream video simultaneously, a WiFi 6 extender helps you ensure that everyone experiences a smooth and responsive experience.
2) Multi-user MIMO (MU-MIMO)
Like WiFi 6, MU-MIMO also offers faster speeds, greater capacity, and reduced latency. MU-MIMO allows the WiFi extender to communicate with multiple devices simultaneously. This helps to improve performance for devices that support MU-MIMO.
3) Mesh WiFi Support
Another latest WiFi extender technology is support for mesh Wi-Fi. Well, mesh WiFi systems are made up of multiple units, or nodes, that work together to create a single, seamless Wi-Fi network. Mesh Wi-Fi systems are useful, especially in large homes and offices, where a single Wi-Fi router may not be able to provide adequate coverage.
Further, you can use a mesh WiFi extender to create a mesh Wi-Fi system, or you can add it to an existing mesh WiFi system to extend the range of the network. Generally, mesh WiFi systems are pricy compared to traditional WiFi extenders. However, they offer a number of advantages that we have penned down below.
- More reliable performance: Mesh Wi-Fi systems are less likely to experience problems with dropped connections and slow speeds than traditional Wi-Fi extenders.
- Better coverage: Mesh Wi-Fi systems can provide better coverage than traditional Wi-Fi extenders, especially in large homes and offices.
- Easy setup and management: Mesh Wi-Fi systems are typically easy to set up and manage.
4) Quality of service (QoS)
Quality of service (QoS) allows you to prioritize certain types of traffic, like gaming or streaming traffic. Basically, QoS utilizes technologies or mechanisms that work on a particular network to control traffic. This, in turn, helps to reduce packet loss and latency. With a limited network capacity, it ensures critical applications perform well.
Beamforming allows the WiFi extender to focus its signal towards specific devices instead of focussing in all directions. The access point knows where the WiFi device is present. This improves signal strength, signal speed, and reliability. Additionally, beamforming provides greater coverage for each device.
6) Parental controls
Parental controls allow you to block access to certain websites and apps.
How to choose the right Wi-Fi extender for your needs
When choosing a Wi-Fi extender, there are a few factors to consider, including:
- The size of your home or office: If you have a large home or office, you will need an extender with a strong signal and good range.
- The type of construction: If your home or office has thick walls or other obstacles, you will need an extender with a signal that can penetrate through those obstacles.
- Your budget: Wi-Fi extenders range in price from around $50 to $300. It is important to find an extender that fits your budget and needs.
In addition to the factors mentioned above, there are a few other things to consider when choosing a Wi-Fi extender:
- The placement of the extender: It is important to place the extender in a central location in your home or office, so that it can provide the best coverage. You should also avoid placing the extender near metal objects or appliances, as these can interfere with the signal.
- The firmware of the extender: It is important to keep the firmware of
In recent years, WiFi extender technologies have advanced significantly. Although WiFi 6 and mesh WiFi support are still considered as the most important technologies, there are many other latest technologies evolving in the market. While choosing a WiFi extender, it is important to consider the size of your home or office, the type of construction, and also your budget.