Welcome the world’s first IPL hair removal device with curved attachments for each body area. The Philips Lumea review for UAE will guide you through the IPL technology and the best Philips Lumea hair removal devices. Say bye to those monthly waxing sessions, hair removal creams and razors. You know, the ones after which your skin feels rough and turns red. Now you can enjoy 6 months of hair-free smooth skin. Since the Philips Lumea uses Intense Pulse Light (IPL) technology to break the cycle of hair regrowth. Gentle, pain-free, pulses of light are applied at the root. Further, after using it several times hair growth gets reduced.
No more painful and expensive trips to the salon. Purchasing a Philips Lumea hair removal device will make you feel more confident about your skin. Also, bringing in the pioneer in IPL technology home safely and gently prevents hair growth. This in-depth Philips Lumea review for UAE contains everything that you need to know.
How Does Philips Lumea Work?
To begin this Philips Lumea review for UAE, let’s see how it works. Philips Lumea is a hair removal device that uses Intense Pulse Light (IPL) technology. Therefore it is termed as an IPL hair removal device. This technology uses a high-powered, hand-held, computer-controlled flashgun. To deliver an intense, visible, broad-spectrum pulse of light. There are various filters that cut off the harmful spectrum of light like UV. The resulting light targets the specific structures i.e the melanin in hair that is heated to destruction and reabsorbed by the body.
IPL is similar to laser treatments since both make use of light to heat and destroy the hair. Further, IPL can reduce hair growth and are most effective when dealing with darker, coarser hair. Besides this, IPL technology is used by cosmetic and medical practitioners to perform various skin treatments. So, besides hair removal, it is used to perform photo rejuvenation i.e in the treatment of skin pigmentation, sun damage and thread veins. In addition to this, it alleviates dermatological diseases such as acne. However, IPL technology shouldn’t be confused with laser hair removal treatments.
The Philips Lumea Prestige is one of the best hair removal devices on the market. This is the most important section of the Philips Lumea review for UAE. No replacement parts and no hidden costs. This Philips Lumea hair removal device is a complete solution. It’s ready to work, straight out of the box. Besides this, no need to refill cartridges and you need not invest in gels or creams of sorts.
- Smart Skin Sensor: Since the skin tone varies all over the body. A device that can read the skin tone on that particular area of your body. Stay tension free since this Philips Lumea hair removal device has a smart skin sensor. Thus, the smart skin sensor reads your skin tone and indicates the most comfortable energy setting.
- Cordless/Corded Functionality: With this device, you can use it the cordless way for full freedom of movement. As you don’t need to sit in one place continuously. But for those who want a full-body hair removal session, can use it the corded way. Without any interruption.
- Proven Effectiveness: Thanks to this amazing and smart Philips Lumea hair removal device. Women have experienced up to 92% hair reduction in just 3 treatments. Thus, resulting in smooth, hair-free skin.
- Suitable Skin Types: Philips Lumea Prestige works effectively on a wide variety of skin types. From very fair skin (white) to dark brown skin. This indicates that it is not suitable for very dark skin. Due to the contrast required between the pigment in hair colour and pigment in skin tone.
- Suitable Hair Colour: It works effectively on a wide variety of hair. From naturally dark blonde, brown to black coloured hair. On the other hand, it can’t be used to treat white, grey, light blonde and red hair. This is because it requires a high contrast between the pigment in hair colour and pigment in skin tone.
- Body Attachment: The large, curved-in design of the attachment allows you to follow your body contours. This is for the effective treatment of areas such as legs, arms and stomach. Its 4.1 square cm window size surface enables treating both your lower legs in only 8.5 minutes. 83% of women are satisfied with hair reduction on their legs.
- Face Attachment: The face attachment has a flat design with an extra integrated filter. Hence it offers a safe and precise treatment of the upper lip, chin and jawline.
- Its 2cm square window size allows you to treat facial areas in 1.5 minutes.
- 84% of women are satisfied with the hair reduction on face.
- Precision Attachment: This is a medium-sized, curved attachment. It is specially designed for precise coverage of bikini and underarm areas.
- Its 3cm square window size offers quick and easy treatments in less than 3 minutes.
- It curves perfectly to match those delicate areas and maintain comfort.
- Price: Philips Lumea Prestige BRI956/60 is available for around AED 1,910.
Philips Lumea IPL SC1997 Review
- Softer Skin: By applying gentle pulses of light on the hair root areas. The Philips Lumea works on decreasing and slowing the hair growth process. Once you repeat this treatment, you’ll end up with beautiful and smooth skin.
- Hassle-Free Beautiful Skin: Say bye to the pain arising due to regular hair removal methods. Such as waxing and shaving using a razor. This Philips Lumea IPL device will start showing results in 3 to 4 uses. The number of times you need to repeat the treatment depends on your hair growth.
- Lamp Flashes: The Philips Lumea works on reducing the hair cells growth in areas all over your body. From your legs to your face, bikini area, underarms and more.
- Safe to Use at Home: You don’t have to worry about using this device at home. It’s completely safe and the IPL technology ensures you achieve professional results. This safe to use hair removal device is sure to impress you.
- Easy & Safe on Sensitive Areas: Whether you’re using it to remove hair off your face. Or any other sensitive area, this Philips Lumea device is safe and easy to use. All you need to do is attach the right part and enjoy the high precision and impeccable performance. Thanks to the various attachments as per the body part.
- Hair & Skin Colour: When it’s about the hair colour, this device will work wonders on your skin. Be it naturally dark blonde, brown or black hair. However, this device is less effective on light blonde, red and grey hair. Furthermore, it’s not suitable for very dark skin.
- Adjustable Light Energy Settings: When you use this device correctly, it delivers safe treatments. You can, therefore, use it on sensitive skin and body areas. For the safety of your skin, the Philips Lumea consists of 5 adjustable light energy settings. Offering you a gentle and effective treatment.
- Different Attachment for a Different Body Part: Since every body part has a different level of sensitivity. The Philips Lumea comes with various attachments.
- Go gentle on your skin with the gentle attachment. Ensure you don’t forget to use the integrated skin tone sensor, that detects the skin tone. For added safety, the device will stop if the skin tone is too dark.
- Simply fix the attachment depending upon the area that it needs to work on. Attach the large treatment window for a faster treatment on larger areas such as the thighs and legs.
- If you’re treating the facial hair such as the chin, upper lip, jawline and cheeks. Then attach the precision attachments which adds additional integrated light filters.
- In case you’re working on normal areas such as your arms and belly. Use the side and flash application mode, which enables a sliding application for a continuous application.
- Price: Philips Lumea IPL SC1997 is available for around AED 1,130.
The table below will give you a clear picture of the Philips Lumea Prestige BRI956/60 and Philips Lumea Advanced SC1997/60.
| Philips Lumea Prestige |
| Philips Lumea Advanced |
|Body, face, |
underarms & bikini
|Body, face, underarms & bikini. But, |
you need to use the same body
attachment for underarms and
|Attachments||The world’s first IPL with |
4 uniquely curved attachments
for different body areas
|2 specific attachments only for |
the body and face (NO separate
attachment for underarms
and bikini line)
|Features||Cordless and corded|
|Cordless and corded|
|Works on skin |
tones from very
white to dark
work on black
|Works on skin tones from very white to brown|
(doesn’t work on dark brown
or black skin)
|8.5 minutes||15 minutes|
|Safety||Skin tone |
|Skin tone sensor for extra safety |
Integrated UV filter
Popular Philips Lumea Attachments – Philips Lumea Review for UAE
In this Philips Lumea review for UAE, we take a closer look at the attachments included. With the Philips Lumea, intelligent attachments adapt the treatment offered for each body area. Your hair and your curves vary across your body. Therefore, each area needs treatment in a unique manner to ensure the best results. Philips Lumea Prestige consists of uniquely curved intelligent attachments for the body (legs, arms and stomach). And for the face (upper lip, chin, and jawline). Each intelligent attachment differs from combinations of shape, window size, and filter. When added to the device, it triggers a tailored treatment program for specific body parts.
In order to gently and effectively treat hair on your face. The attachment is carefully designed with a flat window for precise use on the upper lip, chin or jawline. The window size is 2 cm square and the treatment time is 1.5 minutes. Also, it has an extra integrated filter. When you add this filter to the device it will automatically adjust the light treatment. Hence, it’s best for treating unwanted hair on the face.
This special curved attachment is designed to treat hard-to-reach underarm hair. When you attach this intelligent attachment to the device. The tailored underarm treatment triggers automatically. The window size is 3 cm square and the treatment time is 1.5 minutes.
Since the hair in the bikini area is thicker than the other body hair. It requires a bespoke attachment to deliver the best results. The attachment is curved and has an extra transparent filter. Further, the light treatment adjusts automatically when you add the attachment to the device. The window size is 3 cm square and the treatment time is 2 minutes.
This body attachment is perfect for a fast treatment on large body areas such as legs, arms and stomach. The curved-in design closely follows the body contours for optimal skin contact. Adding the attachment to the device automatically triggers a tailored treatment suitable for these body areas.
Well, the Philips Lumea review for UAE would be incomplete without some FAQs. These FAQs are sure to help you while you make your purchase.
Philips Lumea FAQs
Yes, Philips Lumea is safe to use on the face. But, there a few things that you need to keep in mind. Facial skin is more sensitive and gets more exposed to the sun on a regular basis. Most of the Lumea models include a special facial attachment with a UV filter that prevents skin damage. By taking your skin tone into consideration, you can select the specific setting that will ensure effective yet gentle treatment on your face.
Since the area around the eyes is very sensitive. Philips recommends using this device only below the cheekbones to avoid the risk of eye damage. Also, stand in front of a mirror, to treat the cheeks, upper lip and chin and use the ‘ready to flash’ light.
No. Philips Lumea has never been tested on pregnant or breastfeeding women. Hence, it’s better to avoid using it in such situations. Philips had worked with leading dermatologists to develop Lumea. These dermatologists have advised pregnant and breastfeeding women not to use Lumea. Or any other light-based hair removal method during pregnancy or breastfeeding to avoid any side effects.
Philips Lumea has been developed keeping safety in mind and therefore doesn’t hurt your eyes. The safety system prevents flashing when the device is not fully in contact with the skin. Ensure you make good skin contact to avoid unnecessary scattered light and never use Lumea in the area around your eyes or for treating your eyebrows. You don’t need to wear goggles during use. Furthermore, use this device in a well-lit room so that the light is less glaring to your eyes. Since a well-lit room reduces the perceived brightness of the flash.
No. IPL or Professional Laser is not health intrusive which indicates that it doesn’t have any negative impact on health. This professional IPL is around for the last 25 years. Moreover, researchers haven’t shown the appearance of skin cancer or fertility issues.
Yes, Philips Lumea can be used throughout the year, including summer. However, you need to take precautions before and after tanning. It is okay to have some sunlight on your skin from being outside, but not too much. Keep in mind that all types of tanning darken the skin. So, wait at least 48 hours after tanning, before you use Philips Lumea. Besides this, don’t use Philips Lumea if you have sunburned skin or for as long as the sunburn persists. Always check the recommended skin-hair colour table and adapt the light intensity to a lower setting. This, in turn, avoids skin reactions and side effects.
Serious side effects or damage such as health, skin cancer or fertility issues from long term use have NOT been reported. As a matter of fact, Philips Lumea IPL technology is derived from the technology used in professional salons. Professional IPL treatments exist for 25 years. Philips has adapted the technology for safe and effective use at home. Since Philips Lumea has been developed in conjunction with leading dermatologists. And tested with over 2000 women, it fulfils all the safety regulations for home-use appliances. But, like any skincare product, it’s important to use this device too in accordance with the user manual.
Lumea’s safety system ensures that ‘light flashing’ is only possible if the attachment is in full contact with the skin. Besides this, the integrated UV filter ensures that the light only affects the hair and not the skin. Furthermore, if you’re skin is too dark. Then the skin colour sensor prevents the emission of flashes for safety purposes. Therefore, Philips recommends using this device in a well-lit room to reduce the perceived brightness of the flash.
Philips Lumea is safe and gentle enough to treat the entire bikini area. So, if you want a Brazilian or Hollywood i.e just a trip of hair or no hair at all. Then go ahead. In order to prevent discomfort, Philips advises you to use a lower setting for darker and pigmented areas. You should use a lower setting based on your comfort level for sensitive areas of the pubic area. The reason for the lower setting is that these areas are more sensitive to IPL. Ensure you never use Philips Lumea on the vagina, inner labia, and anus.
No. Never use Philips Lumea directly on or close to big moles or freckles. If there’s a mole in the area you want to treat, try to flash around it. Because the pigment of the mole will absorb the energy of the light. Treating a mole or freckle directly can cause discomfort or even result in burns.
With the numerous clinical Lumea researches, no women rated the experience as ‘painful’. Provided, the correct settings were used according to the skin tone and hair colour.
During the tests, some women did describe a warm sensation. As well as prickling or itching which disappeared within a few minutes up to an hour. In order to get accustomed to Philips Lumea. Philips recommends you to make test flashes on a small part of the area you’re intending to treat. And that too using the lowest recommended light setting. Once you’re comfortable with this, you can increase the light setting a bit. And step by step if necessary.
Your skin is more sensitive after the hair removal treatment. Therefore, you should wait for at least 24 hours, or until all the redness has disappeared. Before you expose the treated areas to the sun. After completion of 24 hours, it’s better if you cover the treated areas when you go out in the sun. A better option would be using a sunblock (*50 SPF) for 48 hours after treatment.
Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) reduces the regrowth of hair. It does this by applying pulses of light to the hair follicle beneath the skin. The hair’s melanin i.e the colour pigment absorbs the pulses of light. Therefore the effectiveness depends upon the level of melanin in the hair. Blond, grey and white hair doesn’t contain any or enough melanin. Therefore the IPL treatment will never work on these hair colours. Also, red hair contains a different type of melanin, which is not responsive to IPL.
Yes, there are certain health and skin conditions that prevent the usage of IPL. Never use IPL if you have the following. Firstly, skin disease such as active skin cancer. Or, if you have a history of skin cancer or any other localized cancer in the areas to be treated. Besides this, avoid using IPL if your skin is sensitive to light. And if it easily develops a rash or an allergic reaction.
Further, if you have a history of vascular disorder. Such as the presence of varicose veins, or vascular ectasia in the areas to be treated. Furthermore, if you have infections, eczema, burns, inflammation of hair follicles, open lacerations, and abrasions. Moreover, herpes simplex, wounds, or lesions and haematomas in the areas to be treated. Women with diabetes, congestive heart disease, porphyria, and lupus erythematosus should also not use it.
NO. Never use this device if you have tattoos, watts and permanent make up on your skin. Since this can result in skin burns and a change in skin colour.
If you use the Philips Lumea by following the instructions given in the user manual. Then you shouldn’t experience any serious side effects. However, you may experience some minor skin reactions, such as redness on the skin. The appearance of slight to moderate redness immediately after the treatment is harmless. It is also normal and will disappear quickly. Additionally, you may experience itching, burning or a tingling sensation during the treatment. Even this is normal and you will notice the sensation disappearing immediately after the treatment. You should, therefore, read the user manual properly. Especially the contraindication list carefully and follow the instructions at all times.
Feel Confident with Philips Lumea
After spending a fair number of hours reading and writing this Philips Lumea review for UAE I feel confident in recommending the following. Consider purchasing one of these devices depending upon your requirement and budget. Never compromise on your skin and health to save costs. Personally, I feel the Philips Lumea Prestige BRI956/60 is a better option. As it offers more features and functionalities. Ensure you read and follow the user manual once you make your purchase. Don’t forget to adjust it as per your skin and hair colour. Also, consider reading about the best epilator in UAE for silky smooth skin.