The best rice cooker in UAE is something every home needs. Meat, fish, and rice are the staple foods of the Emirati cuisine and hence it is fitting to search for the best possible appliance. From aromatic pomegranate topped rice to pot roast lamb, an electric cooker can do it all.
Related: Best Rice Cooker in Saudi Arabia
The amount of convenience these appliances bring to your home cannot be overstated. With electric cookers, you can simply set timers and walk away without the worry of burning your food. You can even cook a number of dishes simultaneously as your cooking range will be free.
Now you could take the tour of multiple websites, scout various options, memorize statistics, compare prices, and spend a considerable amount of time before buying one that meets your requirements. On the other hand, you can take a look at the top 5 recommendations that I have listed below and see which one suits your needs. While each of the products is a value-buy, selecting one should boil down to your personal needs and requirements.
Then, the following question is the most natural one.
How do I choose the best rice cooker for myself?
To make this simple, I have broken this section down into 5 things that you need to consider and evaluate when looking for the best rice cooker in UAE. Doing so will help you select the right cooker with great ease.
- The right capacity
This simply means choosing a cooker that is large enough to feed your family. The capacity indicates how many cups of rice a cooker can cook at a single time. For families, up to 5 people, a cooker of 3 litres is more than sufficient. And 5 litres if you are voracious eaters. For two persons or the typical nuclear family, even a 1.7-litre cooker can suffice. If you live in a joint family of 10+ members then you may need to opt for a larger cooker.
- The correct features
Features are broad-spectrum. This can include how simple or elaborate you prefer your appliance. Many come with simple cook and ‘keep warm’ functions, while others offer you a high degree of manual control. Check for functions such as delayed start or self-timers to begin your cooking. Some cookers even allow you to choose a steam function. The automated processes increase the amount of comfort and flexibility you experience.
- The ease of cleaning
Cleaning the cooking bowl and the lid/cover of your electrical cooker is important. The internal attachment in most cases can be cleaned in a dishwasher. If you do not have a dishwasher or prefer washing the bowl and lid with your hand, ensure you use luke-warm water. Check to see which detergents are suitable for the components to ensure you do not harm the surface of the cooker.
- The safety features
Check for a cooker with advanced safety features such as automatic shut-off. After the dish is ready or the set time has elapsed the appliance should shut down. This will not only protect your home and appliance but even ensure your food does not burn in your absence.
- The number of accessories
Electric cookers often come with one or more accessories. This includes articles such as detachable bowls, steamer compartments, rice spoons, measuring cups and more. You may even get an extra lid or can purchase one separately. Based on the foods you are looking to prepare, select a cooker that offers the appropriate accessories.
Bearing these points in mind you can effortlessly bring home the best rice cooker in UAE for yourself. Experiment with the local cuisine or try making an Indian dish. You can create a burst of sensational flavours in the form of vegetable stews, curry dishes, and even make electric cooker cheesecakes.
Rank 1: Russell Hobbs
- Capacity: At the top, we have a Russell Hobbs appliance that has a capacity of 1.8 litres. The 700 Watt appliance has enough space and power to cook up to 10 cups of rice at a time.
- Material and Weight: The cooker is made of sturdy and durable material. Its base is made of stainless steel. Additionally, the lid is made of glass and enables you to peek into your dish. The appliance weighs 2.56 kgs which is fairly light and easy to move around your kitchen.
- Added Components: The cooker comes along with a measuring cup that has markings to ensure the perfect quantity. Further, it comes with a spatula as well, in case you wish to prepare something other than rice. A number of gravy items that require frequent stirring can also be made in the electric cooker.
- Special Features: The cooker gives you an increased amount of manual control that is not commonly seen. With it’s “keep warm” function you can keep meals warm without having to reheat them in case of a delay during mealtime. Further, the non-stick surface ensures that nothing sticks to the bottom of your cooker even if you overcook dishes slightly.
Rank 2: Black+Decker
- Capacity: This Black+Decker electric cooker weighs 1.8kg as well and serves 6 cups of rice.
- Material and Weight: The cooker is coated with a non-stick surface and the two lateral handles provide easy grip. The cooker is made of steel and has a glass lid. The entire appliance weighs 2.72kgs.
- Added Components: It features a non-stick bowl that is easy to cook and clean with. The separate bowl can be detached and used to steam vegetables as well. It even includes a rice paddle.
- Special Features: It comes with a simple to use dial as well as setting options. You can choose to cook your food or simply keep it warm. Holding up to 3 cups of uncooked rice this tastefully designed cooker is worth buying. The cooker has a light indicator that notifies you of the cooking process. As an added feature the appliance has anti-sliding feet that ensure it sits perfectly still on your kitchen counter.
- Capacity: This Philips appliance should stand as your first choice as the best rice cooker in UAE if size is your criteria. It has a 5-litre capacity which is more than capable of cooking over a kg of rice.
- Material and Weight: It comes with a steel inner pot and a toughened fibre body. Besides this, it sports a neat design and looks compact. Further, it weighs on the heavier side given its capacity at nearly 5.5kg.
- Added Components: It comes with an elaborate control panel. You can adjust the heat, duration, and other settings according to your specifications. In addition to this, it has a reheat function for pre-cooked rice, handy for a meal after a long day at work. It comes with a detachable steam vent that makes cleaning it much easier.
- Special Features: It comes with its own menus to help you prepare tasty delicacies, with over 9 menus to choose from. On a side note, perhaps the fact that the appliance is completely dishwasher safe makes it an ideal choice for many.
Rank 4: Black+Decker Rc650-b5
- Capacity: A smaller cooker that is better for a compact family. That being said, it’s 0.6-litre capacity enables you to prepare 2.5 cups of rice at a time. Hence, making it the ideal rice cooker for 2 persons. It does not consume much electricity at just 350 Watts.
- Material and Weight: This B+D appliance is rather light weighing in at just 1.5kg. The appliance is made of glass and needs to be handled with caution. It is delicate and dropping it can lead to cracks on its surface.
- Added Components: The 20cm cooker has two settings namely, cook and warm. It comes with a removable non-stick bowl that is easy to clean and a glass lid. This helps you keep an eye on what is brewing within.
- Special Features: It’s design is something that resembles older pots and yet maintains a modern and chic look.
Rank 5: Breville
- Capacity: It has the capacity to cook 10 cups of rice which turn into 20 cups of cooked rice.
- Material and Weight: It sports a steel body that is rather square-ish in shape and is quite deep. It weighs roughly 3.7kg which is relatively light and easy to shift around your kitchen.
- Added Components: There is a slow cook stir feature which is ideal for risotto rice. It comes with 5 buttons on its panel to give you an increased amount of flexibility. Not to mention, it has a glass lid like most modern electric cookers.
- Special Features: The Breville cooker allows you to switch over from conventional cooking settings. You can even choose a sear and saute setting for your meats and rice dishes. It has an automatic keep warm feature that ensures you never eat cold food when you open the lid.
Rice cookers have been around for a while now, however, I understand if you haven’t owned an electric one previously you may have your reservations and fair share of questions. Hence, I’ve put together some electric rice cooker FAQs.
Rice Cooker FAQs
It really boils down to your usage needs. If rice is part of your staple diet, that means you’ll be cooking it more than once a week, then it is worth investing into. However, if you are planning on buying it to try out a couple of recipes then it probably isn’t worth it. That being said, there are a number of foods other than rice you can prepare in the cooker.
Yes. You can cook various grains and brown rice in an electric cooker. You can even make stews, pot roasts, and steamed items. Keep in mind that rice cookers start at a low heat and progress with time. Also, many cookers remain completely sealed which gives you a moist steam heat.
They are pretty sturdy and durable both electric and conventional rice cookers can last 20 years or more. Just ensure you maintain the vessel by regular cleaning and proper usage.
There are multiple areas you want to pay attention to. When it comes to getting the best value for your money you should consider the following.
The ease of use it offers. An appliance with too many buttons and settings isn’t always ideal, it should be simple and clear-cut. Next, you’ll want a durable model (read reviews of the suggested above list) and ensure the inner container has a non-stick surface. You also want a device with an audio indicator letting you know when it is done. Lastly, look for an appliance that has a keep-warm feature.
A rice cooker helps you prepare the rice, but if you skip out steps such as washing the rice you may experience a different flavor. Also ensure you’ve bought the grain you desire be it jasmine flavored rice, basmati or a biryani mix.
Try and use the cup provided as it offers the exact measurement that the cooker can hold. If it says 10 cups of rice, its 10 cups of rice with the cup that accompanies the appliance. They come in varying sizes between 180ml to 250ml.
The keep-warm function ensures you never serve cold food. In case of delays while waiting for someone to share a meal with or if you forgot the garnishing and have to run to the local store, you don’t come back to a cold plate. Whats more,This saves you the trouble of reheating and can prevent certain foods from going dry.
Electric cookers are easy to move around and plug in. Weighing between 3 to 6 kgs they can be moved around to accommodate new appliances in your kitchen. However, you will want to find a place where it can sit comfortably over time. You do not need to worry about them sliding about as many come with non-slip bases.
For us to consider the above in the list of the best rice cooker in UAE each of them come with a minimum of one-year warranty.
That’s not all, if you are curious about just how many items you can prepare in a rice cooker this next section is for you.
What dishes can I prepare in a rice cooker?
You’d be surprised at the variety of items you can conjure up in a rice cooker. Apart from the obvious, rice, you can cook the quinoa and other pulses. These are great options in case you prefer keeping your food meat-free.
If you’re big on breakfast menus you can boil eggs, make poached eggs and even miraculously whip up pancakes in a rice cooker. Yes, you read that right. You can create fluffy pancakes with a rice cooker although they will be slightly thicker and, well, not flat. Circling back to eggs, you can toss them into some vegetables like broccoli, mushrooms and throw in some sausage pieces for a hearty meal.
Breakout a number of main course items with the best rice cooker in UAE. An entire roast chicken can fit into the cooker. Due to the sealed surface the bird can cook with the trapped heat which leaves the perfect amount of moisture. As a result, you can also cook some fish or shredded beef in the kitchen appliance. Not to forget jacket and stuffed potatoes are a perfect side to add to your main course. But hold on, Ensure to poke holes into the potato before you place it into the cooker.
Appetizers and Deserts
For appetizers and desserts you can use the rice cooker to make soups and pies. Further, a tomato soup or cream of chicken soup is a great way to begin the evening if you are hosting. There are few things that wrap up an evening as well as apple crumble. The applesauce can be made in your cooker with great ease. If you prefer traditional desserts then know you can bake a variety of cakes as well. From carrot cakes to cheesecakes you can make it all. Interestingly enough, there are a number of recipes out there and some creative frosting/topping suggestions.
Well it about time to put a lid on it (pun intended). This is everything you need to know about selecting the best rice cooker in UAE and what you can do with it. An electric cooker is worth buying if you eat rice frequently or you cook one or more dishes that cook well with trapped heat. Further, the amount of convenience it adds to your daily routine is quite substantial as you free up a lot of time, instead of hovering over your gas range.