Currently, around 99,00,000 people are living with Diabetes in UAE. Purchasing the best glucometer in UAE is the need of the hour since this portable device enables you to check your blood sugar readings from time to time which in turn helps you keep it in control. Since Diabetes Mellitus is a major concern, we have invested 90+ hours researching and bringing forth the best glucometer brands. CONTOUR NEXT ONE, Accu Check Instant, and Dr. Morepen are found to be the best glucometer brands. Additionally, we have also included a blood sugar sensor for a minute by minute monitoring.
To keep you well informed, we have also listed the key features of a glucometer, the factors that affect blood glucose readings and some FAQs to leave you without any doubt. Continue reading to know more.
Best Glucometer in UAE – Quick List
|Product||Sample Needed||Audio Monitor||Memory Storage||Check Price|
|CONTOUR NEXT ONE||0.6 µl||No||Yes||Price on Amazon.ae|
|Accu Check Instant||1 drop||No||Yes||Price on Amazon.ae|
|Dr. Morepen BG-03 Gluco One||0.5 µl||Yes||Yes||Price on Amazon.ae|
Key Features of a Glucometer
Before you purchase the best glucometer in UAE, you need to know and understand the key features of glucometers. This section contains all the key features that we have put forth in detail to make it easier for you to purchase a glucometer that fits your requirements.
One of the main key features of a glucometer is accuracy. Accuracy is a crucial factor to which you should pay attention as inaccurate results will result in further complications. Ensure you keep your average reading by 10-20 records to find out the accuracy. You should therefore research well on the accuracy of the product and check customer reviews.
The test speed differs from glucometer to glucometer. In other words, you get the results at different times. Generally, most of the high-quality glucometers have a good testing speed i.e they test and provide you with the results in 5-15 seconds. A glucometer offering a quick testing speed by maintaining accuracy is essential as you will be taking the readings 2-3 times a day. Thus, you need the results at the earliest. Opt for a glucometer with a test speed that provides you with the results in 5-10 seconds only.
Automatic or Manual Coding
There are two types of blood glucose monitoring systems (glucometers). One of the types is automatic and the other one is manual. As the name says, the automatic glucometer codes the details of the glucometer test strips automatically. On the other hand, you need to code the details of the glucometer test strips manually in the case of a manual glucometer. Consider opting for a glucometer equipped with automatic coding since you won’t need to manually enter the details into the glucometer every time you purchase new glucometer test strips, unlike the manually coded glucometer.
Battery or Rechargeable
As we have seen the automatic and manual coded glucometers, let’s move to the next key feature. With respect to charging, glucometers are of two types, battery and rechargeable. For glucometers which come with a battery, you need to change the battery after every 1000 to 1500 readings. On the other hand are the rechargeable glucometers that function like chargeable electronic devices. These don’t require any battery which obviously means that you won’t have to replace anything often, unlike the battery glucometers. All you need to do is charge them the same manner you charge your phone thus making them one of the best glucometer options in UAE.
Lancet or Prick
Lancet or prick is a small, two-edged sharp and thick surgical knife or blade that has a sharp point. With the help of this tool, you have to prick your finger in order to take the blood sample. Moreover, it doesn’t hurt much while it takes the blood out for the sample. You will find that most of the glucometers come with their own lancet nowadays. Opt for a glucometer which comes with its own lancet.
Sync to App
What can get better than your log meals, blood sugar readings and insulin needs being synced to an app? This will make your life easier right? Well, this is possible as certain glucometers are equipped with a synchronizing feature. It is this feature which helps sync all this important information and details to an app. thus, making it convenient.
Rank 1: CONTOUR NEXT ONE
- CONTOUR DIABETES App: The CONTOUR NEXT ONE is a blood glucose monitoring system that offers a simple method to manage diabetes by connecting to the CONTOUR DIABETES App.
- Most Accurate: So far, CONTOUR NEXT ONE is the most accurate and easy to use meter. Thus, it combines remarkable accuracy with ease of use and aids a wide range of people living with diabetes. Now you know why it tops the list of the best glucometer in UAE.
- smartLIGHT Feature: The new smartLIGHT feature displays red, green and yellow light immediately depending upon your blood sugar level. Red indicates below target, green indicates above target and yellow indicates above target.
- Target Range Indicator: To provide instant feedback to the patients, the smartLIGHT feature along with the target range indicator identifies whether the blood sugar readings are below, within or above the target range. Moreover, this feature also makes it easier and quicker to interpret readings.
- Delivers Immediate Results: All thanks to this device, it delivers immediate results on your smartphone and tablet enabled with Bluetooth.
- Wireless Meter and App System: The easy to use meter, Bluetooth Smart System and the free app available on the Google Play Store and App Store cater to your diabetes care needs.
- Price: Bring home the CONTOUR NEXT ONE blood glucose monitoring system for an estimated cost of AED 60.
Rank 2: Accu-Chek Instant
- Memory Capacity: This glucometer stores at least 720 blood glucose results automatically in the memory. However, you can directly view only your latest blood glucose result and your 7, 30 and 90-day averages on the meter. In order to view all the stored blood glucose results, all you need to do is transfer them to a compatible software application.
- Target Range Indicator: Benefit visual reassurance which you can individualize to suit your personal goals.
- No Need to Set-up: Absolutely no set-up required of this glucometer. All you need to do is insert a strip, apply a small blood sample, and there you go. You can instantly read your blood glucose results on the large display of this glucometer.
- Test Strips: Depending upon your budget and requirements, you can opt for test strips that come in 10, 25 and 50 vials.
- Standard of Accuracy: This is one of the most accurate blood sugar monitoring systems. And the proof is that it fulfils ISO 15197:2013 standards of accuracy.
- mySugr Diabetes Management App: All thanks to the effortless wireless synchronization. When you connect the glucometer to the mySugr diabetes management app, the meter logs your blood glucose results automatically. Next, it wirelessly transfers the results to your smartphone.
- Additional Benefits of mySugr Diabetes Management App: It provides daily, weekly and monthly analysis. Additionally, it exports reports in PDF and Excel formats. Moreover, it also secures the tracker data backup.
- Price: Accu Check Instant Wireless Blood Glucose Monitoring System is available for a price of around AED 110.
Rank 3: Dr. Morepen BG-03 Gluco One
- Revolutionized Blood Sugar Testing: Dr. Morepen BG-03 Gluco One is a blood glucose monitoring system that has revolutionized blood sugar testing. It has aided many individuals in managing and controlling their blood sugar levels effectively and efficiently.
- Blood Glucose Test Strips: In addition to the glucometer, the package also includes 50 blood glucose test strips. Therefore, providing sufficient stock for the purpose of regular blood glucose test habits.
- No Coding Required: This blood glucose monitoring system is not only easy but also quick to set up as it doesn’t require coding. It also provides you with results in only 5 seconds.
- Ergonomic: Since this glucometer is ergonomically designed, it is convenient to hold. Secondly, it is highly accurate since it is based upon biosensory.
- Test Range: It is great for blood sugar test within the range of 20 to 60mg/dL.
- Ideal For: This device is meant for people with diabetes, pre-diabetes, hypertension. As well as older adults, insulin-dependent people who require frequent blood glucose testing. And for those with Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes and chances of hereditary.
- Blood Sample: This glucometer needs a small blood sample of 0.5µl (microlitre) capillary blood.
- Memory: It features a large memory which can store up to 300 readings.
- Price: Dr. Morepen BG-03 Gluco One Blood Glucose Monitoring System is available for a price of around AED 90.
Blood Sugar Sensor – For Minute-by-Minute Monitoring
- Sensor: The sensor is a major part of the constant glucose monitoring system. Besides checking your readings day and night, it also proves accurate for delivering insulin dose.
- Working of Sensor: This sensor is capable of measuring glucose every minute since it uses a thing and flexible filament that is inserted just under the skin. Each sensor can be used and worn for up to 14 days.
- Life-Changing Technology: For all those people living with diabetes who are doing everything possible to maintain their glucose levels and focus on lowering their blood sugar. This sensor by Abbott FreeStyle Libre is a life-changing technology for them. That is because it will replace all the painful fingersticks that they had to use and they also won’t find the need of being tied to a glucose monitor that is bulky and continuous.
- Convenient: Well, the small sensor can be scanned in a discrete manner. It is about the size of 2 stacked quarters. You can even scan it through clothes. Additionally, scanning the sensor with a compatible smartphone is also possible.
- Provides 3 Key Pieces of Data: In addition to saving patients from the pain of sticking their fingers up to 10 times a day. With each scan, the system provides 3 critical pieces of data to individuals living with diabetes. Firstly, it shows you the real-time glucose result. Secondly, it shows an 8-hour historical trend and thirdly a trend arrow that shows the direction of where the glucose is going.
- How to Use: With the help of an applicator, you need to apply the sensor on to the back of the upper arm. Note that the applicator is a device that is simple and disposable. Once the sensor is applied, a flexible, thin and sterile fibre is inserted under the skin. A small adhesive pad ensures it keeps the sensor in place.
- Water Resistant: The Abbott FreeStyle Libre 14 day Sensor is water-resistant. Hence, you can go for a swim, exercise or even shower with it on.
- Ease of Use: This sensor is creatively designed which not only makes it easy to apply and wear but also painless.
- Dimensions and Weight: The dimensions of the sensor are 35 mm x 5 mm. And it weighs 5 grams.
- Price: Abbott FreeStyle Libre 14 day Blood Sugar Sensor is available approximately for AED 320.
Factors that Affect Glucose Reading
Your blood sugar reading may get affected due to one or more of these factors. Ensure you go through all these factors while purchasing the best glucometer in UAE.
First and foremost, some of the users fail to read the Diabetes readings in the right manner. Hence, they don’t get accurate readings. The best thing you can do is to ensure you test the Diabetes levels in front of a doctor or a physician and then by yourself.
Point of Testing
Always wash your hands properly with soap and water and dry them completely before testing yourself to obtain a blood sugar reading. That is because if your hands are dirty or if you have lotion, oil, cream or any other material on your hands then it will affect the readings which will result in non-accurate readings.
As a matter of fact, different weather conditions can also badly affect glucose readings. Therefore, when you purchase the best glucometer in UAE, it is of utmost importance to refer to the instruction manual or user guide so as to better understand how to take the blood sugar readings in different types of weather conditions.
Last but not the least, it may so happen that the test strips that you utilize may not be compatible with your glucometer. Thus, before you purchase the test strips, find out or check its compatibility and expiry date. Ensure you do this every time you purchase test strips. Also, it is possible that you may experience a change in the test strips which the seller might be unaware of. In such cases, inquire about the accuracy and other important details beforehand without fail.
Glucometer FAQs for UAE
Here are some of the frequently asked questions about glucometers and blood sugar readings to leave you without a doubt. You will find all your answers in this section.
Since you know that a glucometer is a blood sugar monitoring system, it tests the sugar level in the blood. In order to use a glucometer, firstly you need to prick your finger with a needle. This is required as you need to obtain a blood droplet which has to be taken on lancet strips. Once you do this, insert it into the glucometer and you will get the accurate readings of the blood sugar (glucose) levels.
Yes, a glucometer is 100% safe to use, the main reason being that it doesn’t result in any reaction or side effects. However, you need to ensure that you maintain the glucometer properly and store it in a hygienic environment. If you follow these tips, the best glucometer in UAE will serve you for long years with the same accuracy without any degradation.
Well, if you are not aware or not too sure about how to use a glucometer appropriately, then ensure you use it with a doctor’s prescription or after consulting healthcare professionals. You might be very familiar about Diabetes but if you’re not sure how to use the glucometer. Then you need to consult your doctor for precautions as well as safety tips.
The answer to this differs from one diabetes patient to another. Each diabetic patient has different requirements. However, note that you can’t make a decision on your own about how often you need to check your blood sugar levels. Hence, you need to keep in touch with your doctor regularly as they provide proper guidance to control blood sugar. As a matter of fact, experts highly recommend checking blood sugar levels and taking the readings twice a day. And not just any time during the day, but only pre-lunch and post-lunch timings. However, if the problem is severe and if your diabetes reading is always high, then you need to test 3-4 times a day.
Diabetes in UAE
As a matter of fact, diabetes cases are shooting up in UAE. In the year 2019, the International Diabetes Federation (IDF) estimated and announced that 19% of the population in UAE is living with diabetes. Yes, over 460 million people (1 in 11 people) are affected and living with diabetes in UAE. This year, IDF has stated that if the current lifestyle and trend continues then around 32% of the adult population in the UAE belonging to the age group 20-79 might develop diabetes and prediabetes over the next decade. This population not only includes UAE nationals but also expatriates.
Around 46% of the people that were surveyed admitted that their regular diet is unhealthy and poor and that they also lead a sedentary lifestyle. Diabetes is a serious global health issue with a huge socio-economic impact that you can’t afford to ignore. This is why getting home the best glucometer in UAE is of utmost importance to monitor your blood sugar readings daily. A real concern is the rising prevalence of diabetes if you consider the large number of people who are not diagnosed.
Measures Taken to Curb Diabetes in UAE
Raising awareness about Diabetes and the necessity of leading a healthy lifestyle is crucial in UAE as it is found to be among the top 10 countries in the world with a high prevalence of diabetes. Dr. Fatheya Al Awadi, head of endocrinology department at Dubai hospital and head of the DHA Diabetes Committee stated the following. Besides purchasing the best glucometer in UAE, the public need to be kept well informed about the importance of regular exercise and healthy eating habits. This, in turn, will aid in meeting the national agenda of reducing diabetes prevalence from 19% to 16.4% by 2021 in the UAE. In order to prevent diabetes-related complications, the Dubai Health Authority launched a number of initiatives.
Diabetes Registry and Joint Clinics
Dr. Fatheya Al Awadi stated that one of these initiatives is the ‘Diabetes Registry’. The DHA Diabetes Committee, the DHA electronic medical record team (Salama) and the IT department has developed this in-house. Additionally, when the diabetic patients visit any of the DHA health facilities that is when the Diabetes Registry records all the details (complete) of each and every patient. Wow! That’s an amazing initiative by Dubai. Therefore, the Diabetes Registry is an essential tool which provides them with accurate information about Diabetics in Dubai. Further, they can make use of this data to know whether there’s an increase in the number of diabetics and then form management strategies to fit their requirements.
Additionally, for diabetes patients with complications, the DHA’s hospital introduced joint clinics. These joint clinics in turn ensure added convenience to the patients. And that they receive the highest level of multidisciplinary care. As a matter of fact, the joint clinic is the first-of-its-kind initiative in Dubai since it enables the patients to visit multiple healthcare experts simultaneously. This is a great opportunity otherwise they would have to take several appointments which are not only inconvenient but also time-consuming.
Furthermore, they established a joint clinic for pregnant women living with diabetes or gestational diabetes. In this clinic, they can visit both, the obstetrician as well as an endocrinologist. Likewise, the DHA has also introduced 2 new joint clinics in the Dubai hospital. Out of these, one is a joint clinic with nephrologists and endocrinologists which occurs on a monthly basis. This is meant for diabetics suffering from kidney problems.
Keep it in Control
Diabetes can cause one or more several health complications which include eye problems such as cataract or glaucoma, high blood pressure (hypertension), kidney disease, skin complications, diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA), and foot complications. Apart from these, it can also lead to a stroke, heart attack, or the removal of a limb. Hence, you need to purchase the best glucometer in UAE today to manage diabetes properly and also check and test yourself on a daily basis.
Besides this, you need to make lifestyle changes, exercise regularly, manage and avoid chronic stress and also practice healthy eating habits. Note that high blood pressure is twice as likely to affect a diabetic, so please consider checking out the best blood pressure monitor UAE to keep a regular check on your BP. You should also take a look at the Omron blood pressure machines.