The digital world is changing, everyone is looking for bigger storage space to store all their digital matter. Any external hard drive in UAE can be randomly selected, either based on its price or the availability, this is easy to do. But that’s not what you want or should do; therefore I’m here to brief you on some of the best external hard drives in UAE. External hard drives are small portable storage devices which can store a huge load of data. These are gadgets of extreme use as they aim towards keeping sensitive and important matter safe.
Best External Hard Drive in UAE – Quick List
|External Hard Drive||Type||Read/Write Speed||Connectivity||Check Price|
|Seagate||HDD||4.8Gbps||USB 3.0 cable||Price in Amazon.ae|
|WD Elements||HDD||5Gbps||USB 2.0/3.0 cable||Price in Amazon.ae|
|SanDisk||SSD||550Mbps||USB 2.0/3.0 cable||Price in Amazon.ae|
|Sabrent||SDD||1000Mbps||USB 3.2 cable||Price in Amazon.ae|
|WD My Passport||HDD||5Gbps||USB 2.0/3.0 cable||Price in Amazon.ae|
Types of External Hard Drives
When you are buying a hard drive there is more to consider than just placing an order for the product. Did you know there are types in a hard drive too? Yes, there are and so you have to consider which is the best to suit you and your wants.
Hard Disk Drives better known as HDD. These devices have been around for quite some time and so use the earliest methods to store information into the system. The method being, the storage of files happens on an electromagnetic disk that spins around and is read by a moving arm. Because of this method being used the device has become comparatively cheaper.
But, besides being cheaper, because of the moving arm, the storage method is much slower as compared to the more recent hard drives. Also, frequent use, that is reading of the stored matter on the drive can damage the gadget itself. In turn, you can end up losing your data. As you might suspect the use of the older technology will mean the disk is a bit heavier. Not making it very pocket-friendly and easier to carry around.
These are the newer technological devices which are known as Solid State Drives. These drives replaced the electromagnetic disks with flash storage which is used in phones, laptops, etc. In flash storage, the use of microchips is prominent. So, this technology uses no moving parts and so works more efficiently with faster performance rate. The risk to lose any data is lower with this type of hard drive. And not to forget the weight which is a major reduction from the HDD type drives.
With all this good stuff there has to be catch right? In this case, the catch is the price. The price of this gadget is on the pricy side as compared to the HDD type. You can’t really expect a multi-terabyte storage system without spending a little extra.
There are enumerable models of hard drives in the markets. And I’m sure it must be hard to narrow it down to one. This is the reason why I’ve taken it upon myself to limit the list to the top 5 external hard drives in UAE. Have a look:
Rank 1: Seagate External Hard Drive
I’m not surprised that a Seagate external hard drive is at the top position on this list. Seagate is one of the well-known technological companies. Producing top-notch products into the market. And expect nothing less from this gadget.
- Expansion Storage: The expandable storage is the main feature to be looked into. And you need not look at any further as it offers 2TB storage space.
- Add On: The simplicity of the use of the hard drive is easy, just plugin and use. You can plug it in with the long 18-inch USB 3.0 cable.
- Speedy Transfer: Since the device has a USB 3.0 interface, it enables the speedy transfer of the data. That is the speed of up to 4.8Gbps.
- Warranty: You won’t have to worry as the device is covered under a year-long warranty.
- Interface: The inbuilt interface of the drive is of USB 1.1 with the windows operating system. Hence any recent or old versions can easily recognize the device.
- Dimensions: Being only 4.8 x 0.6 x 3.2 inches you can rest-assure that the drive is completely portable.
- Price: With features so good, you’re sure to be a happy customer as the set price is AED 240.
Rank 2: WD Elements External Hard Drive
Another of a big and well-known brand. I need not say anything else about this hard drive, only that it’s a WD external hard drive. You have to check out the features of this external hard drive. I’m sure you won’t be disappointed.
- Expansion Storage: This external hard drive offers a 1TB large storage space.
- Dimensions: 4.4 x 0.6 x 3.2 inches is the actual size. The small size makes it easy to slide into a bag or purse.
- Portable: In addition to the dimensions which are small the question of portability holds firm.
- Interface: It uses USB 2.0/3.0 interface. This allows the transfer of data much quicker.
- Warranty: 2 years warranty is offered by the company on the product.
- Compatible: This device works fine with any OS, be it Windows or MAC.
- Functioning: This would be the way the hard drive works. That is, with the help of wireless radiofrequency.
- Price: At price AED 160, now that would be a great addition to your devices.
Rank 3: SanDisk External Hard Drive
SanDisk, who doesn’t know SanDisk as a company in the technological world. They not only specialise in hard disks but a tonne of other products as well. No doubt they too have their product on this list.
- Expansion Storage: With 500GB as the storage space, you can easily store your data in it now.
- Dimensions: Since the dimension of the product is 4 x 5 x 1.3 inches, you don’t have to worry about the portability factor of this drive as its small size allows just that.
- Interface: With the USB 2.0/3.0 interface you know you can use it on any system and ensure the same results in transferring any data.
- Durability: Unfortunately, hard drives are known to be delicate. But not in this case as this SanDisk drive is built to resist any harm caused by water and dust. Moreover, that’s not it, this product is drop resistant as it can withstand even a 2-meter drop.
- Compatibility: This device uses any operating system be it Windows or MAC to ensure you would get the best performance of the drive. Hence rest assured it will work the same with any computer or laptop.
- Price: SDD drives such as this one are always a bit pricy with the price set at around AED 300.
Rank 4: Sabrent External Hard Drive
Be prepared to be wowed as this Sabrent rocket nano hard drive is that good. With stunning features and amazing design. Read on to find out more about this product.
- Compatibility: Designed to function with almost any and every computer or laptop in the world. As it is supported by both MAC and Windows.
- Design: The stylish and unique design of this drive is another plus point. With its aluminium alloy sandblasted shell which is built for durability.
- Portability: Moreover, the thought of carrying extra weight won’t even cross your mind as this device weighs only 191g.
- Storage Size: With the overall outlook so sleek and the storage size at 2TB, I think this is an absolute winner.
- Dimensions: 4.1 x 1.8 x 0.6 inches, yes it’s almost like a pen drive.
- Interface: Sabrent rocket nano uses the USB 3.2 interface with which you are sure to get fast transfer speed.
- Speed: Compared to the rest of its competitions this drive has a faster transfer speed and reading speed which is at 1000MB/s.
- Price: This product is worth every penny even at the set price of AED 1180.
WD has done it with not just one but two of its products in this list. Have a look to know the best product to fulfil your needs and bring the best external hard drive in UAE.
- Storage Space: This device stores data up to 4TB so you don’t have to worry about any data being lost.
- Portable: On the other hand, another plus point is that this device is completely portable as the size is small enough to fit in your pocket.
- Interface: The interface used is USB 2.0/3.0 which contributes towards the speed of the product.
- Dimensions: This device has the dimensions of 4.2 x 3 x 0.8 inches which are close to that of a passport hence the name.
- Backup: In fact, the drives are equipped with the special WD Backup software. Therefore enabling it for double protection of all your important data.
- Smart Features: The WD Discovery software lets you connect to all your social media accounts and also cloud storages.
- Hardware Encryption: The inbuilt 256-bit AES hardware encryption ensures that your data is in safe hands.
- Security: Meanwhile just like any other personal gadgets you won’t have to worry if someone else gets a hold of your drive. Your data is safe as the drive is with a password.
- Price: The selling price of this gadget is AED 380.
With that, here are the listings of some of the best external hard drive in UAE. To help you even further in selecting the best external hard drive here are some additional factors which contribute towards working of the external hard drive.
Factors Affecting the Performance of External Hard Drives
Read/Write Speed of disk
The read and write speed of the disk is the speed at which the data present on the drive is accessed. The ‘read’ is how fast the drive can access and display the contents of the drive. And the ‘write’ is the speed of the drive to save a new file. While purchasing the best external hard drive in UAE it is advisable to check the speed of the read and write rather than the transfer speed of the product.
This measurement of the speed is in bytes per second (ps or /s). However, the speed can change depending on the type of hard drive you are using. The speed of an HDD depends on the speed at which the internal rotating disk spins. Whereas the SSD uses semiconductors to store data. Which in turn enables faster data accessibility. This is also one of the reasons why HDD type drives are cheaper as compared to SSD.
Transfer Speed of Connection
The transfer of the data depends on three main sources. The computing device from the source of the data, the interface of the data moving and the destination. And so, all these sources contribute towards the transfer of the data. Understandably the more recent the make of the technology the faster the ability to transfer the data on the disk. The most important of all the above three factors is the connector itself which comes with the drive.
In any interface, the USB 2.0 or 3.0 or any other number directly refers to the transfer speed of the connection. However, in most cases, if you face any problem with this transfer speed, a 90% chance is the computing device, as these systems tend to slow down with the use of background applications.
So, those were some of the factors which affect the performance of the external hard disk drive. While purchasing an external hard disk drive in UAE it is always better to research thoroughly every aspect of the drive. You don’t want to later regret your choice. Keeping this in mind, to help you make this choice I’ve added some of the features to look into while investing in your very own external hard drive.
Other Features of External Hard Drives
Generally, normal hard drives come with the option of connecting to any computing device with the help of a USB cable. And this can be troublesome if you have more than one computing systems. To simplify this, some of the drives now allow the data on it to be connected to a network. This makes it easier to switch between computers and access files.
You can also give any external drive the network features. All you would have to do is connect the drive to your router but before doing so you also have to make sure your router has the supporting port. For a fully functional working, it would need some assistance from a professional. This being said, even after knowing this, your best option would be to opt for a drive that is actually designed for this specific purpose.
While considering to buy the best external hard drive in UAE, you must also keep in mind the use and reason behind the purchasing of the product. If you intend to use the external hard drive to store matter which needs to be carried around with you then you need to look into buying a portable one. If not then the best one would be anything that has better storage and transfer speed.
Regular HDD ones are a bit on the heavier side, as compared to the SSD type drives. This is because HDD uses a technology that involves a spinning disk. And the SSD uses a flash memory which doesn’t have a lot of mechanisms and physical moving parts involved. Besides all these factors, the main factor which is involved here is the advancements in technology where everything is smaller in size. Hence this is the main reason why SSD is preferred over HDD. The choice is yours to choose the best one to suit your needs.
Some drives recently have arrived in the markets which understand the security aspect of a person. For exactly this reason, drives are now well equipped with high-security encryption and enabled password protection. This will keep all your sensitive information safe and out of the prying eyes of all those who don’t have your password.
With all the research of the best products and looking into each feature, on the best external hard drive in UAE. I’m sure you have come across some technical jargon. Which might have lead you to alternative research about these terms. Hence, to make that easier and break it down to you, here is the breakup of some of the terms.
|Thunderbolt||The fastest speed drive which only works with devices that support the thunderbolt drive.|
|USB 3.1 Gen 2||Offers the fastest speed for USB devices only. Works best with the same USB ported device.|
|USB 3.0/3.1 Gen 1||Has acceptably good storage speed as well as capable to handle fast transfer speeds.|
|USB Type C||New standard transferring data cable, has double the ability to transfer data compared to the other USB types.|
|USB 2.0||Comparatively slower data transfer.|
|SATA||Slower to boot up but less expensive. Generally found inside your computing device and is compatible with all systems.|
|NVMe||Fast way to access flash memory, this is 7x faster than SATA.|
I hope this has helped you understand things a bit more. Even if you aren’t as familiar with technology, this is sure to help you purchase the best external hard drive in UAE. With all this done hope you have your mind made up with the best choice to suit your needs. But before you go off adding the best product to your cart, be sure to read on further for some of the most asked questions.
External Hard Drive FAQs
In any case, the best recommendation would be an SSD external drive but also keeping the price factor in mind. If that’s what bothers you I suggest you go for an HDD one. Unless if you don’t check off even one of the following points SSD is what you need.
Firstly, you have a business and you’re looking for an external hard drive for the same. Secondly, if the hard drive is for a gaming purpose. As gaming computer has always demanded more for the working of the best features of the game and a higher need for storage. Thirdly, if you are constantly travelling and need to access or need to carry your data along with you. Your best option would be an SSD which requires lower power hence won’t hog all your battery power. Since they are smaller in size as well, portability is taken care of. Furthermore, if you are upholding servers, as the servers need a lot of storage space to store all the data available and to ensure the people can use it as and when required.
Yes, in some cases this could occur. You might find that your data isn’t accessible after a prolonged period of the drive not being used. This is because since the electronic fields have not been powered and it can’t generate enough power it now needs to work efficiently. This could be the main reason but the drive might have other reasons for not functioning as well.
Generally, the lifespan of an external hard drive isn’t too long. A minimum of ten years is a good bargain to ask for. Since the drive is a gadget it’s always a matter of when? Therefore to be on the safer side always make sure you have a copy of the important matter on the drive. And if you do face a problem with the drive always make sure to reach out to a person well informed in the field.
This depends on what or which sort of external drive itself is a question. As you could categorize this into two, the desktop external drives and the portable external drives.
The desktop external drives use electric currents for which you need to plug it into a power outsource. This is while it is connected to the computing device. However, in the case of the portable external hard drives, you can connect it directly to the computing device. These drives don’t need to be plugged to an external power source as it works or the power of the computing device itself.
With that, we shall wrap up with some of the questions about the best external hard drive in UAE. I hope this question and the answers to them have satisfied you. Enough to help you go and make the right choice from the list of the best external hard drive in UAE.
A Step Ahead
In conclusion, an external hard disk drive is a good and useful device. Especially to back-up and store your data. Not owning one is not too bad either but since computers are gadgets you can never be sure when something could go wrong. I hope nothing of that sort does happen but as a precautionary measure be always a step ahead. As you try your best to stay safe, likewise why not put in a little effort to keep your data safe as well. Back-up all your important data on drives that are specifical to suit your needs.