Want to start the day with a healthy and delicious breakfast? Cooking eggs in a microwave is a super-sonic alternative for you to get your day started. Here are 8 ways of cooking eggs in a microwave. Sounds interesting right? Read through my experiences to save yourself some time. I’ve experimented endlessly before penning down various recipes and methods of cooking eggs in a microwave. With simple-to-make recipes, breakfast will be tasty and healthy. Yes, you heard me, TASTY and HEALTHY! Save yourself time and effort of cooking early in the morning by using a good microwave instead of the stove.
1. Two-Minute Microwave Scrambled Eggs with Cheese
Scrambled eggs are perhaps the easiest dish to whip up in a microwave. This recipe takes just 2 minutes to prepare. All you need is a microwave, eggs, and garnishing of your choice. It’s an egg-cellent idea and takes absolutely no time to conjure up. Here are the ingredients required for the recipe and a step-by-step preparation guide.
Ingredients: 2 eggs, 2 tablespoons milk, 2 tablespoons shredded cheese, and salt, pepper, and any other herbs you choose to use. Personally, I enjoy tossing a little parsley to the mix.
- Coat a 12 oz. microwave-safe coffee mug or another dish with cooking spray.
- Add eggs and milk to it and beat till blended.
- Microwave on HIGH for 45 seconds and then stir. Microwave until the eggs are almost set, 30 to 45 seconds longer.
- Top with cheese and season with salt, pepper, and herbs.
- Serve hot.
2. Microwave-Poached Egg on Toast
Not just for your breakfast egg, but your microwave can also come handy for your lunch egg. Lentils, brown rice or a salad can be elevated from a side dish to a main dish with a tender, poached egg on top. Here’s how to make quick, freshly poached eggs in a microwave.
Ingredients: To poach an egg you need 1 or 2 eggs, 1/4 teaspoon white vinegar, and 1/3 cup of water.
- Fill a microwave-safe mug or small bowl with 1/3 cup water and a splash of vinegar. The vinegar is optional, but it will help the egg to coalesce a little better.
- Gently crack an egg or two into this mug or bowl, making sure it’s covered in water. Make sure to prick the egg with a toothpick or a fork to prevent any explosions.
- Cover your mug or bowl with a small microwave-safe plate and microwave on HIGH for a minute. The egg white should be set but the yolk still runny.
- If the egg white is still runny then microwave it for another 10 or 20 seconds.
- Unlike poaching eggs on the stovetop, the microwave tends to cook the yoke faster than the egg white. If you prefer your egg white a little softer then you need to take it out a little earlier.
- After this, remove the egg from the water with a slotted spoon. Transfer it to a plate. Season it with a little salt and pepper to relish it. Enjoy on a toast, on a salad or the way u would like to have it.
3. Eggs Florentine
Eggs Florentine is a dish that owes its name to the French. The French word associated with Spinach took the place of ham in Eggs Benedict. The dish traditionally contains mushroom and spinach introduced by Catherine de Medici. To craft this yummy Eggs Florentine dish, here’s what you need to do.
Ingredients: 2 eggs, 1 tsp coconut oil, 2 tbsp water, 2 tbsp thinly sliced baby spinach, 1 tbsp shredded mozzarella cheese, 3-4 sliced grape or cherry tomatoes, 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms, salt, and ground black pepper. Personally, I prefer adding a little garlic to add to its fragrance.
- Take a bowl and add coconut oil to it. Add eggs, water, spinach, and mushrooms and beat them all until they blend.
- Add garlic if u wish to until it is fragrant for about 1 minute.
- Microwave on HIGH for 30 seconds and then stir gently. Wait until the eggs start to firm.
- Keep a check on the spinach and mushrooms so that it’s cooked properly.
- Microwave for another 45 seconds or a minute until the egg is set.
- Season it will salt and black pepper.
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over this mixture and wait until the cheese starts to soften for about 5 minutes.
- Top it with grapes or tomatoes as per your taste.
4. Coffee Cup Quiche
Ideal for people with a bite-sized appetite. A coffee cup is a perfect vessel for this quick meal. It takes only a few ingredients and quick cooking time that serves one. Quiches can be served hot or cold but I recommend a hot cup! This savoury dish contains few calories and skips out on those calorie-dense sauces traditionally present.
Ingredients: 1 egg, 1 and 1/2 tablespoons milk, salt, ground black pepper, 1/4 of a bagel (or similar amount of French bread), 2 teaspoons cream cheese, fresh thyme leaves or fresh chopped chives, dijon mustard.
- Beat egg and milk together with a fork in a coffee cup, adding salt and pepper to taste.
- Tear bread into dime-size pieces & stir in.
- Add cream cheese & stir.
- Microwave on HIGH temperature until done for about 1 minute 10 seconds.
- Sprinkle with fresh thyme leaves.
- Garnish with mustard and chives.
5. Microwave Egg White and Spinach Breakfast Sandwich
Cook a couple of eggs in a microwave without the yolk. Spinach makes this seemingly otherwise bland meal rather tasty and nutritious. Credited as a superfood, spinach possesses many essential nutrients. Adding this to your daily breakfast eggs has a positive impact on your health, hair, skin and bone health.
Ingredients: 1 Bagel thin, 3/4th cup egg whites, 10-15 fresh spinach leaves, 1 wedge herb and garlic cheese, 2 slices tomato, 2-4 slices avocado, kosher salt, Cholula hot sauce.
- Toast bagel thin in the toaster or toaster oven.
- Take a bowl and add egg whites and spinach leaves. Add kosher salt to it.
- Place this in the microwave for 1 minute 30 seconds, keeping an eye on the eggs so that they don’t overflow.
- Smear a wedge of cheese on toasted bagel thin and add slices of tomato.
- Take the bowl out of the microwave. Scoop the egg out of the bowl in a single patty and place on top of cheese and tomato.
- Top with avocado. Season with more salt and hot sauce if desired.
6. Quick Breakfast Tostada
Tostada is a versatile dish with a nice crispy toast, vegetables, and eggs, cooked in a microwave in this case.
Ingredients: 1/4 cup 1% low-fat milk, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, 4 large egg whites, 2 large eggs, 4 corn tortillas (6-inch), 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese, 1 cup canned black beans (rinsed and drained), 1/4 cup chopped green onions, 1/2 cup bottled salsa, 1/4 cup fat-free sour cream.
- Combine the first 5 ingredients mentioned above in a large microwave-safe dish. Stir with a whisk.
- Microwave at HIGH temperature for 3 minutes and stir.
- If not ready, then microwave for an additional 1 minute or until done.
- Arrange 1 tortilla on each of the 4 microwave-safe plates.
- Divide the egg mixture evenly among the corn tortillas.
- Layer each serving with 2 tablespoons cheese, 1/4 cup beans, and 1 tablespoon green onions.
- Microwave each tostada at HIGH temperature for 30 seconds.
- Top each tostada with 2 tablespoons salsa and 1 tablespoon sour cream and serve immediately.
Related: A healthy juice will go great with tostadas.
7. Cereal Bowl Egg and Cheese Breakfast Burrito
Ingredients: 1 flour tortilla (6-inch), 1 egg, 1 tbsp shredded Mexican Cheese blend, 1 tbsp salsa.
- Take a microwave-safe cereal bowl with a microwave-safe paper towel. Press tortilla into a bowl.
- Break the egg into the centre of the tortilla. Beat the egg gently until blended, take care not to tear tortilla.
- Microwave on HIGH for 30 seconds and then stir. Microwave for 15 to 30 seconds longer until the egg is almost set.
- Remove the tortilla with a paper towel liner from the bowl to a flat surface. Top egg with Mexican cheese and salsa. Fold the bottom of the tortilla over the egg and then fold inside.
8. Vegetable and Egg Frittata
Ingredients: 2 tbsp butter, 1 thinly sliced onion, 4 sliced asparagus stalks, 3 sliced mushrooms, 1/2 sliced zucchini, 6 beaten eggs, salt, and pepper to taste, 1/2 cup pepperoni, thinly sliced, optional.
- Cook butter and onion in an 8″ quiche dish for 3-4 minutes.
- Add asparagus, mushrooms, and zucchini.
- In a microwave, heat with 1000 watts for 3 and a half to 4 minutes.
- Add eggs, seasonings, and cover it.
- Cook with 400 watts for 5½-7 minutes.
Cook Faster! Eat Healthy!
Spice up your mornings with a variety of easy-to-cook eggs. It ensures your pallet has something to look forward to each morning.